When you have plumbing problems with leaking or broken pipes, the usual solution is to have the faulty pipes replaced. However, there are some cases where you will need to have all the pipes replaced: whole-house repiping. This is an option to consider if you live in an older home (built pre-1970) or any home with galvanized steel plumbing.
Steel was the most popular choice for home plumbing for many decades, but steel eventually suffers from corrosion and lacks the durability of today's copper, PEX, and CPVC piping.
1. With whole-house repiping, you receive an entirely new plumbing system. This is a large job, but one that should last you a lifetime once it is completed. Considering the permanency of the results, the work itself will seem minor.
2. We first decide on the materials to use for the job. Most of the time, copper pipes replace the main water and waste lines, and different types of plastic pipes will branch off from the copper lines to the fixtures and fit into smaller spaces.
3. The actual installation usually takes between 1 to 2 days, depending on home size, and water service interruption will only occur for a few hours each day. The plumbers will cover the areas where they work in plastic sheets to prevent damage to the furnishings, and then begin to make surgical cuts into drywall and ceiling material to access the older pipes. They will take extra care to patch, paint, and smooth over the areas after the new pipes are installed.
4. Some pipes need more extensive excavation to access them, and this may involve moving major fixtures. However, the installers will make every effort to restore your house to its previous condition after they are done-with the exception of the new pipes, of course!
5. You should notice the difference in your home's plumbing right away. The flow of water will come easier from faucets and water pressure will improve. Monthly water bills will improve as well, and you can expect to need few to no repairs for leaks and clogs during the next few years. With proper maintenance, your re-piping will last for many generations.
We will send one of our expert technicians out to your home to assess your pipes and give you options that fit your needs. Call Premium Plumbing today to schedule your whole home repiping installation!